How-to For Grades 6 Thru 12
Helpful Links in PURPLE
- Discuss Steps of the Scientific Method so the child understands how to proceed
- Review the Engineering Design Process so the child understands how to proceed with work on a Maker project (invention, engineering, or model)
- Allow the student to decide on project they understand and can complete on their own
- Provide support and reminders for completion of the Application Form
- Encourage review of appropriate Scoring Rubric to address judging points
- Provide support and reminders for completion of the Research and Safety Plan, Quad Form and Safety Form
- Ensure three sources or works are cited in logbook. No specific format is required. Students may use their teacher as one of three sources.
- Provide support and reminders to stay on task with their research
- Monitor their progress to identify if more science content assistance is needed
- Ensure three sources or works are cited. No specific format is required. Students may use their teacher as one of three sources
- Provide support and reminders for electronic submissions
SPECIAL NOTE: We follow the same protocol as that used by the Academy of Science St. Louis Science Fair. That means we use the same forms and scoring rubrics for consistency in qualifying projects to advance to the ASSLSF event.
Unlike the AASLSF, Kirkwood offers a Non-Judged Option option for students that wish to participate without the competitive aspect.
Complete PowerPoint Virtual Display, submit to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org by February 15, 2023 (ONLY PowerPoint or a PDF are accepted. Project may be a display board presented in PowerPoint or PDF format. Size is limited to ten pages and 100 MB. (Click the link for help in converting Keynotes into a PDF)
Complete Logbook in Word, submit to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org by February 15, 2023 ONLY Word or a PDF are accepted. Size is limited to 10 pages, or 100 MB. (Click this link for help in converting Pages into Word)
Kirkwood Judging Conducted February 16 through February 28
Kirkwood results emailed to participants March 1 through 3
Results posted on website, shared through Peachjar and social media March 1 through 3
Projects qualified to advance to ASSLSF will receive a special email with instructions on how to proceed