Students will learn about the bones and the heart. Students will identify the qualities of a good friend. Students will identify ways to protect the body from the environment (e.g., sunscreen, insect repellant, sunglasses, goggles, hats).
Grade Level(s): Kindergarten
Related Priority Standards (State &/or National): K-12 Health Education Missouri Grade Level Expectations
- What are health and wellness?
- Why is it important to know my body?
- How do healthy decision-making skills effectively enhance health and well-being?
- How do I identify trusted adults who support my healthy development?
- Students will be able to define and explain communicable diseases/germs.
- Students will explain and be able to apply safety aspects to their everyday life.
Course-Level Scope & Sequence (Units &/or Skills)
- Unit 1: Concepts of Wellness
Students will have an understanding of what it means to be physically, socially, emotionally, and mentally well. They will learn how to improve upon different facets of wellness (how to cope with stress in a healthy way, how exercise benefits the body, and hygiene) in a way that is individualized and significant to the student. Students will learn about various body systems and how different organs interact with one another.
- Unit 2: Mental, Emotional, and Social Health & Goal Setting
Students will have an understanding of healthy social-emotional skills, including conflict resolution, self-regulation, coping, advocacy, and safety. They will learn the importance of goal setting and building positive relationships.
- Unit 3: Analyzing Influences & Decision Making
Students will have an understanding of factors that influence health and wellness (nutrition, substance abuse, peer conflict resolutions, and coping strategies). They will learn the importance of developing healthy habits for optimal lifestyles.
- Unit 4: Healthy and Safe Relationships
Students will analyze what it means to be a good friend and learn to demonstrate the characteristics of a good friend. Students will learn to identify positive adult relationships and what constitutes an inappropriate relationship. They will be able to identify safe versus unsafe behaviors in various environments and settings (water safety, train track safety, stranger safety, etc.).
Date Last Revised/Approved: 2022