Lifetime Fitness in middle school is a wellness course designed to develop a student’s desire to pursue and plan for lifelong physical fitness. Included in the course are basic exercise routines and activities to develop each student’s personal fitness. Games and weight training activities will be included.
Grade Level(s): 6th-8th
Related Priority Standards (State &/or National):
- Missouri Physical Education Grade Level Expectations (2007)
- MOAPHERD Missouri Physical Education Grade Level Expectations (2016)
- National Standards for K-12 Physical Education
- What concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics are related to movement and performance?
- How can I achieve and maintain health-enhancing levels of physical activity and fitness?
- How can I demonstrate responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others?
- What is the value of physical activity?
Enduring Understandings/Big Ideas
Students will responsibly and cooperatively work together to achieve a (course, unit, skill) goal with focus, effort (grit), and consistency, where each student develops an intrinsic appreciation for the pursuit of wellbeing.
Course-Level Scope & Sequence (Units &/or Skills)
Unit 1: Individual Lifetime Wellness Activities
Students will understand and participate in a variety of activities that promote lifetime fitness.
- Frisbee Golf
- One-Wall Handball
- 9-Square "In the Air"
- Climbing Wall
Unit 2: Team/Small Sided Games
Students will understand and participate in a variety of lifetime fitness, wellness, and/or small-sided activities. They will develop routines and understand the purpose of those routines in promoting wellness and fitness.
- Pickle Ball
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Can Jam
- Spike Ball
Unit 3: Strength & Conditioning
Students will understand and participate in a variety of activities that promote lifetime strength and conditioning.
- Circuit Training
- Cross Fit
- Super Sets
- Giant Sets
- Weight Training
- Exercise Routines
**Module length will vary depending on length of course (Quarter, Semester, Year)
Course Resources & Materials: A range of PE equipment is available to students and teachers at each middle school. Teachers may also use YouTube videos and/or apps to support teaching of skills and videos to promote physical activity. FitnessGram is used to monitor student progress on fitness assessments.
Date Last Revised/Approved: 2018