Computer Applications I is a course that is designed for students to use integrated software applications - with a focus on word processing, spreadsheet applications, presentation design, email usage, and organization of electronic files and documents. Computer Applications I is designed for any student who would like to develop professionalism and necessary software skills to be successful in the modern world of technology. Students will learn the necessary features of Google Drive, Google Email, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.
Grade Level(s): 9th-12th Grades
Related Priority Standards (State &/or National): Missouri Computer Science Performance Standards
Course Essential Questions
- How do you determine what media and format to use to communicate information and ideas effectively?
- In what ways does technology enhance expression and communication?
- Why is collaboration important in a business environment?
- Why are effective communication skills necessary for success in business?
- What skills and knowledge are critical for success in a global economy?
Course Enduring Understandings
- Effective oral, written, and online communication skills are an integral part of achieving success in the 21st century work environment.
- Application of essential business knowledge, creativity, innovation, critical thinking, and problem solving are essential to success in an advanced global economy.
- To operate effectively in the business world, collaboration with diverse groups of people in any setting is important.
- In the ever changing technology world that we live in, students need to be flexible, life-long learners.
Course-Level Scope & Sequence (Units &/or Skills)
Unit 1 - Google Suite - Students will be introduced to Google Suite. They will explore the different software systems within Google Suite and their purposes.
- Students will independently evaluate and choose the most appropriate technology resources for presenting information
Unit 2 - Workplace Readiness - Students will develop organizational tools to manage a professional email (Gmail) and digital filing system (Google Drive).
- Students will exhibit organizational skills through filing systems they create.
- Students will demonstrate ethical behavior when creating business documents.
Unit 3 - Google Docs - Students will learn to navigate the Google Docs workspace, utilize tools to properly format documents, and create professional communication pieces.
- Students will properly format essential business documents.
- Students will utilize advanced features of a word processing application.
- Students will utilize a word processing application to demonstrate professional writing skills.
- Students will create and format business documents such as letters, memos, reports, and press releases.
- Students will create and format tables, mail-merge, and graphics.
- Students will set up and edit document formatting options such as margins, page orientation, breaks, headers, and footers.
- Students will create and edit layout and design formatting for tables and columns.
- Students will create and format graphic options such as text wrapping, design, layout, style, and color.
- Students will create and edit chart options such as design, titles, axes, data labels, and gridlines.
- Students will use appropriate MLA and APA format to cite references in business documents.
Unit 4 - Google Sheets - Students will learn when to use spreadsheet software and how to use its basic functions to organize and manipulate data.
- Students will understand how spreadsheets can be used to organize and manipulate numerical and categorical data.
- Students will use a given set of data to create charts.
- Students will utilize spreadsheet features such as: filter, sort, find, format, value, merge, and advanced print options.
- Students will create a workbook with formatted spreadsheets.
- Students will interpret a spreadsheet/chart information.
- Students will enter data into a spreadsheet utilizing cell references, the formula bar, and the fill handle.
- Students will calculate data in a spreadsheet by using formulas and functions.
- Students will use relative and absolute references to create formulas that can easily be copied to new cell locations.
- Students will generate appropriate charts, reports, and graphs for the type of data being used.
- Students will visually enhance information with the use of pivot tables and pivot charts.
Unit 5 - Google Slides - Students will utilize presentation software to create effective visual aids to improve communication with an audience.
- Students will evaluate principles of good design in a presentation.
- Students will use the various tools embedded in Google Slides to create a presentation designed to appeal to a target audience including layout features, animation, motion paths, and transitions.
- Students will use online resources to collaborate.
- Students will effectively use Google Slides to aid in giving a successful presentation.
Course Resources & Materials
- Applied Educational Systems (AES) https://www.aeseducation.com/
- B.E. Publishing - Ereadiness: Learn by Doing Google Apps 3 https://www.ereadiness.com/
- Google Edu https://edu.google.com/intl/ALL_us/
Date Last Revised/Approved: 2023