In this course, students build on the language and literacy foundational skills established in the previous grades. The course is structured, systematic, cumulative, and provides consistent multisensory reinforcement while scaffolding to include a written spelling component.
Grade Level(s): Fifth Grade
- How do readers create meaning from informational and literary texts?
- How does a student become a skilled reader?
- How do phonemic awareness and phonics impact learning to read?
- How do sound and letter relationships help a student learn to write?
Enduring Understandings/Big Ideas
- Students will decode words using knowledge of all letter-sound correspondences, syllabication patterns, and morphology to read unfamiliar multisyllabic words in context
- Students will read root words, prefixes, suffixes,and important words from all specific content curricula
Course-Level Scope & Sequence (Units &/or Skills)
- Lessons 1-5: Schwa Sound and Syllabic Consonants*
- Lessons 6-10: Suffixes, Scribal o, Doubling Rule, and Y Rule
- Lessons 11-20: Sounds, Accent Patterns, and Suffixes
- Lessons 21-100: Roots and Prefixes
- Lessons 101-165: Roots and Suffixes
- Lessons 166-170: Roots and Prefixes
- Lessons 171-180: Roots and Suffixes
Course Resources & Materials: Sonday System Essentials
Date Last Revised/Approved: 2022