KHS College & Career Planning:  Over the course of four years, the KHS College & Career Counselors assist students in course planning, career options, and college admissions.  While students will meet with their College & Career Counselors individually and in group settings, other resources such as the KHS College Planning Guide (PDF) are provided to KHS families. 

    Types of Schools: Not all, but most career choices require some type of postsecondary certificate, diploma or degree.  Due to the cost and time commitments of the various postsecondary education options, it is important to know what type of career interests you wish to pursue and how much training is required to work in that particular field.  

    Technical Schools:  Often two-year institutions preparing students for jobs in skilled trades or modern technology.  Automotive, construction, electrical, informational technology and manufacturing are few examples of the specialized training a technical school may offer.  State Technical College and Ranken Technical College are two examples of technical schools located in Missouri. 

    Community College: Community Colleges offer an Associates Degree.  After completing a two-year course of study, students may earn an Associate of Arts degree or an Associate of Science degree.  The credits you earn at a community college can often be transferred and applied to to a bachelor's degree at a 4-year school.  However, check with the 4-year school you plan to attend to maximize the amout of credits that will transfer.

    College or University: A College is an institution that offers a Bachelor's Degree.  A University is an institution that offers a Bachelor's Degree plus a Master's Degree or Doctoral Degree(PhD). There are two general types of Bachelor's Degrees: Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS).  A Bachelor's Degree, also known as an undergraduate degree, usually takes four years to complete.