Research Plan -- Applying to Participate
All participating students must submit a completed Research Plan for pre-approval prior to starting their project. They will be sent to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org. The necessary form can be found on the District website. The deadline for email submission is January 13, 2021. Your parent-signed Safety Form MUST ALSO be included at the same time.
These MUST be submitted from the student’s email address. The body of the email must include the student’s name, school, grade and teacher’s name.
The Research Plan form will address these main questions:
- What is the question or problem being addressed and expected outcome?
- Describe in detail the method and procedures including all safety precautions. Include all procedures to be used for data collection and or building your prototype, if it is an engineering project
- Identify any potential risk and safety precautions to complete the project safety.
- Teacher or parent oversight: Who will be supervising your project (parent, guardian or your teacher)? For approval, parent or teacher must be present and supervising during experimentation or prototype development and building.
If your project involves human subjects, also answer the following questions:
- What procedures are in place for safeguarding confidentiality? You are responsible for the protection of privacy and informed consent for projects that involve human subjects.
- Describe how you will inform participants about the purpose of the study and what they will be asked to do.
- Provide a sample of your Human Consent Form in your logbook.
Students in grades K through 12 will email their completed Research Plan and Safety form to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org for review and approval.
After your Research Plan and the Safety Form are received, you may be contacted with additional questions or suggestions before it is approved. ONLY AFTER you receive email approval are you to start your electronic project and logbook. Kirkwood will email approval no later than January 26, 2021.
No late submissions of the Research Plan form will be accepted after January 13, 2021. No extensions will be granted this year.
This is a fillable form. Students should download, complete and submit via email to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org with your parent-signed Safety Form no later than January 13, 2021. There will not be deadline extensions this year.
Your email must be sent from a student email. The body of your email must include your name, school, grade, and teacher.
These forms should be submitted BEFORE you begin your project. Once reviewed, we will email you approval to begin your project.