We appreciate your support!
If you prefer to send a check, please make it out to Kirkwood Band Boosters and mail to:
Kirkwood High School
c/o Rebecca Friesen
801 West Essex Avenue
Kirkwood, MO. 63122
Dear Kirkwood Band Parents, Alumni and Friends,
The Kirkwood Band Program continues to flourish because of a substantive curriculum, a well-informed, supportive administration, exemplary parental support, and dedicated students.
Evidence continues to focus on instrumental music as a vital component in the positive growth of every child. For years we have pointed to the music students as those who have demonstrated a special talent. However, based on extended studies we now know it is the very process of learning music that develops the artistic mind and brings forth the creative potential in young people.
“A recent study of an expansive U.S. Department of Education database of over one thousand communities spanning the past decade showed that students who were involved in the music and arts education by the tenth grade performed significantly better on standardized tests, reading proficiency, and math proficiency.”James S. Catterall, National Educational Longitudinal Study,” published by U.S. Department of Education
The Kirkwood School District administration and community support the band program. However, the size of our classes and the performance demands of our bands exceeds the school budget. Your support of the Kirkwood Band Program through the Kirkwood Band Boosters is far reaching. KB2 donations have provided help in supporting the band program’s needs at all levels from beginners through high school. Due to your support we are able to purchase music, instruments, mouthpieces, reeds, uniforms, bus rentals for festivals and competitions and compensate clinicians and arrangers. Your donations have helped put chairs, music stands, and recording systems in the rehearsal rooms. Additionally, many band students receive KB2 scholarship assistance in the form of lessons, instrument rental, and music camps.
As a Kirkwood Band advocate, you need to know that:
- Research shows that when music is included in a student’s daily learning, reading, writing and math scores improve.
- There is a high correlation between positive self-perception, high cognitive competence scores, healthy self-esteem, total interest in school activities and the study of music.
- The longer an individual studies music, the higher their scores tend to be on both the verbal and math portions of the SAT exam.
- At-risk children participating in an arts program that includes music show significant increases in self-concept, as measured by the Piers-Harris Children’s Self-Concept Scale.
- Employers often seek out students who are part of their high school music program because of the student’s ability to solve problems and work well with all kinds of people.
Your financial contribution helps us to meet the needs of our students in order to accomplish our goals in helping to nurture and develop well rounded students through music education.
Thank you for your continued support of the Kirkwood School District Band Program and our wonderful young musicians.
Rebecca C. Friesen
Director of Bands
Kirkwood School District