Elementary Summer Options
Kirkwood JumpStart - In Person Only
- Students will meet in person on Monday-Thursday mornings, July 26-29 and August 2-5
- The target audience for our KSD JumpStart program will be current K-4 students (rising 1st-5th graders) who would benefit most from a “jumpstart” into the school year. Each school will fill 10-12 spots per grade level, with five teachers supporting a total of 50-60 students from each campus.
- The primary focus of our 1st-3rd grade program will be literacy and SEL (roughly 80/20%), with a focus on literacy, math, and SEL in 4th-5th grades (50/30/20%). Programming will include district-adopted resources for Tier I instruction and intervention (i.e. Heggerty, Sonday, Units of Study, Second Step, Investigations). All students/teachers will be on one campus, dictated by possible summer work/construction schedules.
- Students invited to JumpStart will be notified no later than May 1. Preference will be given to those who can attend in person for eight days of class.
- Current fifth graders will be included in middle school programming for Middle School JumpStart.
Enrichment and/or Adaptive Academies via Launch - Online Only - REGISTER HERE
- Launch courses are offered from June 7-30 and July 7-30. Students can potentially take up to two courses per month or four courses per summer, if desired.
- All current K-4 students can take online classes this summer through Launch, a KSD partner based out of Springfield Public Schools. There is no cost to families OR the Kirkwood School District for these courses, with funding through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- LAUNCH courses are offered in June and July. Students can take up to two courses per month or four courses per summer, if desired.
- Students who do not log in and participate at once per week will be automatically dropped after two weeks.
- Enrichment themes include National Park Adventure (June & July), Route 66 Road Trip (June & July), and Earth Explorers (July only).
Students can register for classes up to the first day of each session, June 7 and July 7.
Daily enrichment schedules for Launch (Grades 1-5) can be viewed HERE.
Daily academy schedules for Launch (Grades 1-8) can be viewed HERE.
Launch invites students in grades 1-5 to participate in engaging summer programming and theme-focused courses for both June and July! All elementary enrichment and academy offerings provide remediation services and extended support for elementary learners.Your National Park Adventure (June or July)This engaging month-long course invites students in grades 1–5 to lace up their (virtual) hiking boots and head out to explore four of America’s most-popular national parks. Visits to Yellowstone, the Everglades, the Grand Canyon and Hawai’i Volcanoes are in store, and virtual field trips, engaging readings, hands-on projects and riveting research will ensue. The action-packed content is designed to allow students to work their way through targeted, grade-level science, social studies, math and reading instruction as well as fine arts and physical education activities.Route 66 Road Trip! (June or July)Fill up on fuel, hop into your favorite virtual vehicle and join us on a journey across the Main Street of America in this engaging month-long course. As learners in grades 1-5 make their way from Chicago to L.A., they’ll engage in reading, research and science activities, visit historical sites and take time to play at some prominent pit stops. Targeted, grade-level science, social studies, math and reading instruction help pave the path of this virtual road trip, and fine arts and physical education activities provide off-screen engagement. Ready for a rip-roarin’ road trip? Enroll now, and prepare for four weeks of touring and exploring along the miles of America’s Mother Road.Earth Explorers (July Only)Grab a shovel, roll up your sleeves and dig into a month of discoveries as you examine the earth from the inside out. Students in grades 1-5 enjoy layers of learning as they explore the earth’s geosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, and lessons on water conservation, recycling and other environmental issues educate explorers on how they can do their part to preserve the planet. As targeted grade-level science, social studies, math and reading instruction keep students engaged, fine arts and physical education activities provide fun off-screen. Eager to be educated on all things that make the world go round? Enroll today, and prepare for four weeks of eco-friendly facts, figures and fun.This course allows students to explore how they can use photography to express themselves. Multiple avenues provide photography and writing inspiration, and students utilize a variety of tech tools to research as well as write and illustrate their own book. This course does a great job at expanding the classroom beyond its traditional sense, all while giving students an opportunity to expand their communication skills.This academy was created for all computer-loving kiddos. Students are assessed at their learning level and learn how apps and games are created, and they even have a chance to make their own video game! This academy is offered at both the elementary and middle school levels.Dreambox is an online mathematics program for grades K-5. Dreambox assess a student's current level in mathematics, then provides individualized instruction at the learner's level. This personalized instruction builds tremendous learning momentum, helping students achieve success and confidence in their math abilities. Your student will continue to learn math online during the summer months. It is recommended that students spend 60 minutes per week in the program.Lexia supports students in grades K-5 by providing differentiated literacy instruction. Lexia's research-proven program provides explicit, systematic, personalized learning in the six areas of reading instruction, targeting skill gaps as they occur. Your student will continue to focus on foundational reading skills during the summer months. It is recommended that students spend 40-80 minutes in Lexia per week.