Parent Information & Opt Out Letters
KSD Policy IGAEB recognizes that parents/guardians should be the primary source of sexuality education for their children. The Board of Education also recognizes that effective sexuality education, taught in concert with parents/guardians, helps students avoid risks to their health and academic success and prepares them to make informed decisions as adults. The district will offer instruction in human sexuality and will provide instruction regarding sexual abuse, as required by law.
The district will notify the parents/guardians of the basic content of the district's human sexuality and sexual abuse instruction. The district will also notify parents/guardians of their right to remove their student from any part of the district's instruction. The district will make all curriculum materials used in the district's human sexuality and sexual abuse instruction available for inspection prior to the use of such materials in actual instruction. The district will also make these materials available to the public upon request.
As per state standards, Kirkwood's health curriculum first introduces students to human growth and development in fourth grade. Topics related to sexual education continue through middle and high school health instruction. As per policy and state statute, Kirkwood's sexual abuse and harassment training for students begins in sixth grade.
Resources noted below are provided to support parents with understanding about Kirkwood's health and sexual education instruction. If you need additional information, please contact Liz Grana (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sarah Jaeger (email@example.com/213-6100).
Human Sexuality Instruction
- Elementary Family Notification & Opt-Out Letter (4th/5th)
- Middle School Family Notification & Opt-Out Letter (7th/8th)
- High School Family Notification & Opt-Out Letter
Sexual Abuse & Harassment Instruction
- Middle School Family Letter
- High School Family Letter
- Links to Overviews of Instructional Videos (6-12)
- Missouri Health Education Grade Level Expectations
- Middle School Health Curriculum Overview
- High School Health Curriculum Overview
- Kirkwood Policy IGAEB: Sexual Health Instruction
- Missouri State Statute 170.015 (HB501)
- HB604 - School Turnaround Act