Register Now To Participate
Complete the reservation no later than November 23, 2022 to participate in this year's STEAMfest
STEAMFest Science Fair
STEAMFest is the Kirkwood School District’s science fair to pre-qualify eligible projects to advance to the annual Academy of Science St. Louis Science Fair. Students in grades Kindergarten through 12 are invited to share and celebrate their STEAM projects. Helpful links appear in blue.
STEP 1: How Students Start. . .
- Pick a topic that is important to you.
- Pick a Project Topic. Decide if you will do a collection, an experiment, an observation, or a Maker project. Maker projects can include an invention, engineering, or a model.
- Determine your Product Category. This helps the judges to properly judge your project.
- Complete the Googledoc Reservation online no later than November 23, 2022.
STEP 2: What Happens Next . . .
- Kirkwood will review your Googledoc Reservation
- Kirkwood will email you approval.
- Now you can start your project!!!
STEP 3: Working On Your Project . . .
- Ask your parents to review the Scientific Method with you so you understand the method and procedures to use as you work on a collection, experiment or observation.
- Ask your parents to review the Engineering Design Process with you so you understand the method and procedures on a Maker project (invention, engineering, or model).
- Students complete these four forms listed below and attach them in an email with the student name, school, grade and teacher's full name. Email to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org.
- Research and Safety Plan
- Safety Form
- Quad Chart
- Students do this no later than December 14, 2022. No late submissions, please.
STEP 4: Remember These Details . . .
- Your logbook should be submitted in Word and should include your parent-signed Safety Form (it's worth 10 points!!). Also include your Quad Chart (new this year).
- The logbook is limited to ten pages and 100 mb.
- Keynote and Pages will not be accepted. This is due to the Academy of Science St. Louis Science Fair accepting only Word and PowerPoint or PDF’s. Visit our website for Instructions on Converting Keynote to PowerPoint and Pages to Word.
- Your logbook and project should be emailed to STEAMFestForms@kirkwoodschools.org NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 8, 2023.
STEP 5: What Kirkwood Does . . .
Kirkwood will judge electronic submissions from February 8 through February 28, 2023. Between March 1 and 3, 2023, we will email students with their score and a copy of their grading rubric. A list of participants with project placement will be posted on our website and shared through social media.
STEP 6: Queeny . . .
- Students that qualify to advance to the Academy of Science St. Louis Science Fair will be provided with details on how to register their projects online.
- Students will have time to tweak their projects before competing. (Students may NOT totally re-do or create a different project for Queeny.)
- Online registration for the Academy of Science St. Louis Science Fair's website must be completed by students no later than noon on March 17, 2023.
- Students will then have until noon on April 20, 2023 to upload their projects to the ASSLSF website.
- The ASSLSF will post placement results online May 4, 2023.